MacArthur’s return and the American declaration of independence for the Philippines signaled the postwar reconstruction of Philippine radio.
Ambassador Joaquin Miguel Elizalde, together with his brothers Manuel and Federico, bought KZRH from the Heacock Company. With Silen’s help, they acquired equipment from the National Broadcasting Company in New York to establish operations of Manila Broadcasting Company at the Insular Life Building, which was sandwiched by Plaza Cervantes and Plaza Moraga.
KZRH was back on the air by July 1, 1946 – just in time to cover the inauguration of the second Philippine Republic, with Manuel Roxas as President. This foreshadowed things to come, for the station has since been at the inaugural of each succeeding Philippine president.
With Ambassador Elizalde subsequently being named Secretary of Foreign Affairs under the presidency of Elpidio Quirino, his brother Federico assumed leadership of MBC. An established bandleader and jazz pianist who had earned plaudits in London, Maestro Federico put a premium on good music, and big bands were asked to perform live over KZRH. Other programs centered on variety shows, comedy skits, and short newscasts.
In a few years, with Francisco “Koko” Trinidad as the country’s representative to the International Telecommunications Union, Philippine radio stations were mandated to change the initial letters of their call signs showing their separation from the American broadcasting milieu. Luzon stations were listed as DZ and DW, Visayan stations as DY, and Mindanao stations as DX. Thus, KZRH became DZRH – the first local radio station to broadcast simultaneously on the AM and shortwave frequencies.